Soooo, you’re finally going on that backpacking adventure across Europe you’ve dreamed about since watching Hostel in high school (side note: please watch something more uplifting before your trip). Now comes the not-so-glamorous part: choosing the actual backpack to lug you and all your stuff around the continent for weeks on end.
Unless you want to end up like Quasimodo with the male version of sore feet by the time you limp your way through the cobbled streets of Prague, choosing the right travel pack is key. And by “right” we mean finding the backpack version of your trusty golden retriever – loyal, durable, and ready to support you through the best and weird (we see you, Amsterdam) times ahead.
Ahead, we’ll sniff out how to pick the best backpack that meets all your on-the-go needs and expectations (qualities you’d probably also want in a dating profile, but we digress). We’ll provide tips on sorting through the never-ending options from brands promising you’ll basically sprout wings with their bag strapped on.
And yes, reviewing backpack specs can be about as exciting as browsing lawnmowers, but consider this research as investing in your travel happiness…and avoiding incredulous stares as you play real-life Tetris trying to cram one last souvenir in an overflowing pack. Ready to go backpacking in comfort? Strap on your best walking shoes and let’s hit the trail toward Backpack Nirvana!
What is a travel backpack?
A travel backpack is an item that will enable you to transport your belongings when traveling. It is the type of bag that you are most likely to see being carried by people who are leaving on a long journey. It is specifically designed for travelers. It differs from other backpacks in that it typically has a number of features that are beneficial for traveling, such as space for a tablet and its charger, multiple compartments, and a water-resistant design.
Travel backpacks are usually made with materials that are light in weight and durable so that they can be used for the duration of a trip. They will often have multiple compartments that can be used to store different items, as well as pockets for carrying smaller items. Some backpacks also come with straps that can be used to secure them to your body, making it easier for you to carry them around.
What are the different types of travel backpacks?
There are a few different types of travel backpacks that you can choose from, depending on your needs.
- The rolling backpack is perfect for people who have a lot of luggage and do not want to carry it all on their backs. These backpacks come with wheels at the bottom so that you can easily push them along behind you.
- The hiking backpack is ideal for people who are traveling to places where they will be doing a lot of walking. These backpacks are designed with straps that distribute the weight evenly across your body, making them more comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
- The daypack is perfect for people who only need to carry the essentials with them on their trip. This type of backpack is typically smaller in size and has fewer compartments than other types.
Why should I get a travel backpack for my travels?
There are a few reasons why you might want to invest in a good quality backpack for your travels. When it comes to traveling, there are a few pieces of gear that are essential – and a good quality backpack is one of them.
Whether you’re traveling by plane, train, or automobile, a high-quality travel backpack is a great way to carry your belongings with you. Here are just a few reasons why you should consider getting a travel backpack:
- Backpacks are typically more comfortable to carry than suitcases. They distribute the weight evenly across your body, which makes them ideal for long-distance travel.
- Backpacks are easier to transport on public transportation. This makes them a popular choice for backpackers and travelers who want to explore new destinations without having to worry about their luggage.
- Backpacks come with different compartments and pockets, which allow you to organize your belongings in a way that works best for you. This is especially helpful for travelers who like to keep their things organized.
- Backpacks are typically made from durable and lightweight materials, such as nylon. They are also water resistant, which can come in handy if you are caught in a rainstorm.
- Backpacks typically cost less than suitcases, making them a more affordable option for travelers on a budget.
How to choose the best travel backpack
When choosing the best backpack for traveling, there are a few things you need to consider. Firstly, you need to decide what type of traveler you are. Are you someone who likes to keep their belongings organized and separated, or do you prefer one big compartment where everything can be thrown together? This will help you determine the type of backpack that is best for you.
Other factors to consider when choosing a travel backpack include:
- The weight of the backpack: A heavier backpack can be more cumbersome to carry, especially if you are traveling long distances.
- The size of the backpack: Make sure to choose a backpack that is suitable for your needs. If you are traveling to rural areas or backpacking across Europe, a larger backpack might be better suited to your travel style.
- The number of compartments: Different people like to keep their things organized in different ways. Make sure that the backpack you choose has compartments and pockets in all the right places.
- The material of the backpack: Travel backpacks are typically made from nylon, which is durable and lightweight. Make sure that the fabric is water-resistant to protect your belongings in case of spills.
- Some backpacks also come with straps that can be used to secure them to your body, making it easier for you to carry them around.
- Price: Be careful to not overpay for a travel backpack that has the same features that cheaper backpacks such as Eagle Creek Expanse or Patagonia Black Hole offer.
What are some of the best travel backpacks for 2024?
The best travel backpacks for 2024 will have a variety of features that make your trip as easy as possible. Many carry-on backpacks now include a special section for storing your laptop and tablet, making it easier to access these devices while you are traveling. And even if you do not have space in the main compartment of the backpack for your laptop or tablet, many now come with pockets that can be used to keep smaller items separated from larger ones.
People who prefer to use hiking backpacks when traveling may find models that have extra padding on their straps, so they don’t cut into the shoulders after hours of walking. You should also look for backpacks with water-resistant designs so that rain does not soak through them and ruin any of your belongings inside. You should also try to get a backpack that has a warranty of at least one year so that you’re covered in the rare event that something does go wrong with it.
People who are looking for a casual daypack should look for models that come with a top handle and side pockets for storing water bottles, as well as padded shoulder straps. Finally, people who use rolling backpacks when traveling will find packs with ergonomic handles and four swivel wheels to make pushing them through airports easier on your body.
Where can I buy a good quality, affordable travel backpack?
There are a few places where you can buy a good quality, affordable travel backpack. Some of the best places to look are on
Here are our suggestions:
*The sale price is available for a short period of time and will go back to the original price. So, be sure to check out these limited-time offers before they’re officially gone!
Traveling is a privilege for many people and it’s important that we make the most of our time abroad. With the right backpack, you can travel with ease without worrying about losing your belongings or feeling uncomfortable as you explore new places.
By considering the factors mentioned in this article, you can choose the best backpack for your specific needs and make the most of your travels. Happy trails!